Friday, October 16, 2009

Cream cheese filled breadsticks

 

 

 I so love having someone to cook for and with all the company I have had this past couple of weeks, I have been doing a lot of cooking. One treat I really love is from one of the frozen pizza brands when came out with a cream cheese filled breadstick. However they are almost $6.00 a package of six : / ouch! I looked everywhere for a recipe for them to no avail so I came up with my own and actually I think my version really tastes better. Since I could not find a recipe for it online I thought I should post it.

 


I start with a simple bread machine recipe for white bread and I use the one for a large loaf.

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of water
1 tablespoon butter
3 cups of "better for bread" flour (this is not self rising just ground finer)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon dry milk
1 3/4 tablespoons salt
2 1/2 teaspoons of bread machine yeast or quick-acting active dry yeast

Place all the ingredients in the bread machine in the order listed. Set the machine for large loaf, white bread and dough only.

Once the machine has completed its work prepare the cream cheese filling. You will need,

1, 8 ounce package of cream cheese
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 egg yolk (reserve the egg white for later)
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat all the ingredients until creamy and set aside, remove the dough from the bread machine and roll it out as thin as you can without making holes. I got mine about 2 foot by 3 foot. Whip the reserved egg white and spread it over the entire dough. Cut the dough into 4 inch by 6 inch sections. On one side of each section pipe a rope of the cream cheese filling. Roll over and over stopping with the seam side down and the filling spiraled in the center. The egg white spread on the dough previously will seal the filling inside. Use a fork to crimp the ends together and place on an air baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Let rise for about 30 minutes, brush with butter and bake at 320 fahrenheit until golden brown. Yummy served hot and will reheat in the microwave as well.

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

AMAZING, Inka. They look delicious and your house guests are treated royally with home made meals with a creative touch.

craftirn said...

Yum, those are my favorites and here they don't cost anywhere near what you have to pay for them.
I have to try your recipe. How many does it make?? can you freeze them??

ALTERED ARTIFACTS said...

You can freeze them if your family doesn't eat them all...lol. I put them in Ziploc freezer bags two at a time. Then I reheat for 1 min in the microwave :)
Inka

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy. I am not sure what you mean by fold over and over so filling is inside in spiral. Can you explain, please?

ALTERED ARTIFACTS said...

After they are rolled out into a square. Start at one edge and roll them like you would a jellyroll .... just much smaller. When the breadstick is broken in half you can see the spiral inside.